Don’t worry, Quilt For Lovers brings patterns to all quilters, this scrappy patch from Double Four is an easy quilt pattern. The pattern we’re going to learn and a beautiful Scottie Bedspread For Perros bedspread definitely make good use of the extra fabric scraps that always end up being left over.
We only use two colors for the Scottie Dog, but feel free to change fabrics any way you like. Make little Scottie in realistic colors or try a small-scale dog-themed fabric for the body or background. Explore your imagination, make the combinations you want, for sure it will be an incredible job in the end!
Final block size: 12 inch square
Scottie Dog Quilt Block Cutting Chart
Beginning quilters – learn how to cut patchwork shapes before you work on the quilt block.
Grey or black for dog body:
- one 6-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ bar
- three 2-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ squares
- four 2-7/8″ x 2-7/8″ squares
- one 3-1/4″ square
- two 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ rectangles
- one 2-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ bar
- one 4-1/2″ x 6-1/2″ bar
- one 2-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ square
- three 2-7/8″ x 2-7/8″ squares
- one 3-1/4″ square
Sew half square triangle units
Half square triangle units are used to create the Scottie Dog’s head and tail.
- Pair a 2-7 / 8 “x 2-7 / 8” background square with a black square of the same size. Use our easy-to-patch method to quickly sew the squares, creating two half-square triangle units that measure 2-1 / 2 “x 2-1 / 2”.
- Make four more units of half a square triangle by pairing two squares of 2-7 / 8 “x 2-7 / 8” background with black squares of the same size.
- Make two half square triangle units by pairing the 3-1 / 4 “x 3-1 / 4” background square with a black square of the same size. Units must measure 2-7 / 8 “x 2-7 / 8”.
Try the magic method of half square triangle of 8 if you create many identical blocks for Scottie dogs.
Make a Square Square Triangle Unit
It is easy to create quarter-square triangle units. Before you begin, it is important that you read the instructions for the quarter-square triangle to understand the basics.
- Find a half square triangle unit made of 90 cm squares.
- Draw a line from one corner to the opposite corner on the back of a 2-7 / 8 “black square.
- Pair the single square with the half-square triangle unit, the right sides together and aligned, so that the marked line is perpendicular to the seam of the triangle square.
- Sew a 1/4 inch seam on both sides of the line, just as you did to build the half square triangle unit.
- Press to set the seams.
- Cut on the marked line and carefully press the quarter-square units.
- The units are mirror images of each other. See the illustration to see which one is used for the right-facing Scottie. The remaining unit can be used to sew a dog facing left.
Assemble the Quilt
Sew the Quilt Block
Assemble the pieces for the Scottie Dog quilt block in two large sections, a left, and a right, and then sew the sections together.
Make the Left Scottie Section
The left section is made up of four rows.
- Row one is the 2-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ background bar.
- Make row two by sewing a 2-1/2″ background/black half square triangle unit to each end of a 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ rectangle as shown. Press seam allowances towards the bar.
- Row three is the 6-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ black bar.
- Make row four by sewing a 2-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ square to each end of a 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ rectangle. Press seam allowances towards the darker fabric.
- Sew all four rows together. Press seam allowances towards the plain bars.
Make the Right Scottie Section
- Make row one by sewing a 2-1/2″ black/background half square triangle unit to a 2-1/2″ background square. Press seam allowance towards the square.
- Make row two by sewing a 2-1/2″ black square to a 2-1/2″ black/background half square triangle unit.
- Make row three by sewing the quarter square triangle unit to a 2-1/2″ black/background half square triangle unit. Refer to the illustration to choose and place the quarter square unit. Press seam allowance towards the half square triangle unit.
- Row four is the 4-1/2″ x 6-1/2″ background bar.
- Sew the rows together. Press seam allowances towards row two and row four.
Sew the left and right Scottie sections together, matching seams carefully. Press.